Worms Reloaded Positioning Hack

Found something interesting to mod? Post it here.
DeepBlueSea

Worms Reloaded Positioning Hack

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:11 am

Already the first thing i ever tried to hack on Worms just worked right on the money.

I can set X and Y of my worms to anything i want. And if it is my turn, of other players too.
I have not looked into this for so long. But apparently, if it is your turn in the game, you have full control over every player and the physics.

I made a little entertaining video out of this:
[le remove]

So i'll be investigating more, to see what else is possible. :P

Angelo
Site Admin

Re: Worms Reloaded Positioning Hack

Post by Angelo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Nope, nothing is synchronized. Nice try though.

Also, no references to hacking sites, thx ;)

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

If it is your turn, it is synchronized. (So yeah, the last bit in the video is not)
And this hacking site only releases code, so no problem there?

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Nothing new here, P2P after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dajpQS8L0sc

I did not see your link but I think gamedeception is pretty gay.

Angelo
Site Admin

Post by Angelo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:15 pm

How is it synchronized? Last time I checked, T17 removed synchronization of vital variables. Unless your hack is sending packets to other clients, I don't think it actually synchronizes. Got any video to proof it's synchronized? Like, let your friend use the hack, and you record it while not using the hack?

@Patrickssj6: That video was before the sync-removal patch. Also, damn, you ninja'd me. :P And yes, that site is the one in his video.

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 pm

P2P is no excuse. There are concepts on Two-Player integrity, which desynch and disrupt the game instantly, when this happens.

But in Worms Reloaded the player, whose turn it is, takes full control of the physics. And that is bad. Nobody complaining about this?

We can match up in steam friends and try it, if you want?

And don't be raged about gamedeception. Tell me a site which is not full of fags...

Angelo
Site Admin

Post by Angelo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:18 pm

DeepBlueSea wrote:But in Worms Reloaded the player, whose turn it is, takes full control of the physics.
Odd... I guess modifying Player.txt and Patrick's CRC patch doesn't act the same way your hack does, then.
DeepBlueSea wrote:And don't be raged about gamedeception. Tell me a site which is not full of fags...
Reddit.

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Well i am directly manipulating the worm-classes, which is some reverse engineering work, as opposed to manipulating text-config-files and patch a CRC algorithm...
And i mean a Reverse Engineering site about games, not any website.

Why are people so pissed off about those kind of investigations? We are not the ones who ruin the game, it's the developers fault for those flaws.

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:54 pm

I have already reversed the Worm class and the CRC stuff is not hex overwriting the old key...so don't make assumptions before you know ;)

This game does not check for proper syncing, yes we know that. This has not changed since the beginning when this game was released and we know that this is a major flaw which Team17 is never going to fix.

It was a port after all.

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm

On a related note, i find it rather disappointing that Worms got more "console-like" every time. Remember Worms2? You could customize everything, now it's down to manipulating the game engine if you want to make some changes.

Also, what do you have against GD? You are member there, wtf?
Remember: [le nuke]

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm

I was...bunch of elitist who compensate apparently their low social lives by feeling superior on the internet when smashing newcomers. Not talking about you or Pat.

This game sucks. Why care about making proper file types or caring about anti cheating mechanism on a console...they just wanted to milk the game.

The resyncing is apparantly random...the more changes you make on your turn the more unlikley it is to resync..simple repositioning of worms is fine.

I already thoughts about writing an extending framework to this game but it is just not worth it. I do not understand why it is so hard for them...just writing Worms in a very lightweight environment without Steam...done.

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:12 pm

BTW are you German? (Your website, which is not available anymore in your profile, directs to a German site)

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Patrickssj6 wrote:I was...bunch of elitist who compensate apparently their low social lives by feeling superior on the internet when smashing newcomers.
I wouldn't put it so radically. The problem is, many newcomers just come there to profit and want to have hacks. So these are obviously not treated very well.
Other than that, yes there are some big Egos, and sometimes its just having some fun. I don't think it's that bad.
Patrickssj6 wrote: Not talking about you or Pat.
Pat? Is this not you?
Patrickssj6 wrote: This game sucks. Why care about making proper file types or caring about anti cheating mechanism on a console...they just wanted to milk the game.
Well sadly, you are kind of right. Still this is scheduled for League-Play (ESL), and before this gets kinda serious, the developers should get some things straight.
And it helps if you poke them from time to time.
Patrickssj6 wrote: The resyncing is apparantly random...the more changes you make on your turn the more unlikley it is to resync..simple repositioning of worms is fine.
I also noticed the final exchange for determining Game-Win can happen or it goes straight into nirvana for one player, hanging endlessly.
What you say, kind of resembles GoldSrc packetizing for "unreliable message system". Every event that superceded the channel buffer is simply discarded, and therefore not in effect for the other player.
Patrickssj6 wrote: I already thoughts about writing an extending framework to this game but it is just not worth it. I do not understand why it is so hard for them...just writing Worms in a very lightweight environment without Steam...done.
Well at least you can have some fun with it. See what is possible. Unlike Penetration-Testing in the Security-Area, online game engine integrity testing is despised for whatever reason. And this is why we have the problem of weak security in online gaming after all. The developers are spoiled and get no criticism. Rather the reversers are confronted with hate... twisted world.

And yes, i am german.

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Stupid Nazi.

Ne Scherz bin auch Deutscher :P Ich meinte PATR7CK oder iwie heist der. Habe schon einmal eine mail mit den Problemen an Team17 geschickt aber die haben nicht geantwortet. Habe kein Problem damit wenn Leute das Spiel reversen...habe den CRC Patcher auch nur veroeffentlich damit Team17 sich mal bewegt.

Noch dazu kann man mit dem Patcher Probleme von denen beheben wie z.B die Sprachsaetze benutzen die sonst nicht erscheinen (z.B Russisch).

DeepBlueSea

Post by DeepBlueSea » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Ach du meinst P47TR!CK aka el pat0 :P
Schade nur, dass er nich wirklich mehr aktiv ist auf GD.

Mal schauen ob Team17 da noch etwas reisst. Mein Thread wurde in deren Forum jedenfalls nicht freigeschaltet...

Patrickssj6

Post by Patrickssj6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:47 pm

3 meiner Threads wurden dort schon geloescht :D

Angelo
Site Admin

Post by Angelo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 am

Okay, let's shut up now.